Yo hi everybody, new song : [Kleb Station] entirely made "within the Q". One day of takes, one day of mix ; It was a wild ride, but I finally got it home safe and sound.
Good things first
I got no hangup at all. QTractor did not crash a single time.
No matter the settings and the latency, I did not had to offset any audio clip to "sync" it with the rest of the timeline. And that's a *very*
good thing because every time I do that, baby Jesus cries.
Questions (not really)
I got lags. Some. Not a lot of it, but still. It's weird to see QTractor stop everything for as long as half a second (w/o any xruns getting registered) but then again it must be some mechanism to cope with serious RAM limitations without crashing... Well if that's it, it works.
Nothing that can't be worked around. Most of the time when xruns kick in a full restart&reload resets everything. Everything : Plugin settings are correctly saved, soundfonts are loaded (not the sub-part for big SFs, but it's fluidsynth's job, and you can always extract the part of the SF you need with Swami - thanks for the tip BTW), automation curves don't move, everything is really freezed, this I really like. But :
I'm still to understand exactly how a *project* works, conceptually. What really is a "project" ? A container for "songs" that would contain "clips" ? Why do I feel that "clips" have a somehow "transcendental" existence between those planes ? Don't answer that. Don't try to answer any of the questions in this post, this is just me thinking out loud, after all most of the time I manage to figure it out myself. And I know you're on holidays. Don't ruin it on my pointless bickering ;) Now for your beach reading pleasure :) :
Suggestions (for what it's worth)
Because I want to tell you, apart from this
nitpicking, It's aaaaall gewd. I love the way MIDI clips are handled. Do they have their
own undo/redo buffer ? Looks like they have. this is great. I love QTractor. Period.
Oh, a last one :
@ Jeremy : Thanks for your 48000Hz tip it really helped - I read it elsewhere before but you found the words to wrap my head around it, thanks ;)
Now what I do is I get all the audio takes done quickly, with minimum effects, because some sort of entropy kicks in after so many tracks and processes, and I guess it's only logical. So between the creation of the project and, say the 4th track, I can enjoy my 8ms, and that allows for no latency compensation (witch I can't enjoy anyway, because of my jack version, that I can't update because of my glibc, bref) and I'm a happy camper.
Then after you begin to add heavy sidechain compression and stereo convoluted reverbs and that sort of cycle-expensive gizmos, I'm forced to go from 128 to as high as 512 but it's ok for MIDI tracks w/ quantize.
And then, for mastering, with everything turned on, it's 1024 and 164ms (something like that) but it's still OK and I have to use LXDE, maybe XFCE, but certainly not KDE4 because it takes the 300Mg RAM I need to run audacity and bounce the track directly from qtractor master bus without xruns. I still only have 2Gb RAM because this friggin' HP tower won't take *any* of the DDR2 modules I shake at it.
This is really great. QTractor gave me back all the time I invested in it, and then some. Thank you Rui ; I wish you a happy holiday, as far from any computer as possible ;)