You are here

Using German Umlauts in project name causes project to be saved less than intact..

Hello Rui

I started a new project with my favorite DAW - qtractor 0.54 - and gave the project a name containing the word "Etüde".

I recorded a midi clip and an audio clip from a digital stage piano.

The project was then saved.

Later on, opening the project again, the tracks were empty - there were no files listed in the midi / audio tabs to the right.

Checking the folder containing the project files I noted that the filenames for the midi and audio files contained funny characters (like you see in hex files).

Changing the file names to "normal" characters, I could reload the files back into the project. The audio clip was complete, the midi clip was empty.

Can I assume that the project / clip / files names are not utf8 compatible in qtractor?

Best regards, Simon

Forums: 
rncbc's picture

ouch. that hurts :)

i'll have to test that umlauts and what not myself (let me see if i can write those myself on my pt keyboard: ä ë ï ö ü... i guess i can:).

i've been trying to stick with utf8 all over the place but, you know, murphy lurks ;)

seeya

[UPDATE:] just tried the same, started a new session from scratch, gave it the exact name "Etüde" as yours, added a midi track then a midi clip, recorded an audio clip on a second new track as well. saved. closed. reloaded and... all is ok here. tried to save as bundle zip/archive (.qtz) and nothing weird happened. i'm puzzled now :S

Simon Lewis's picture

Hello Rui

This is going to be a hard nut to crack..!

Started from scratch to verify this behaviour...

1 - Created a new project named "Etüde_A_Moll_Variations"

2 - Saved project - on saving the file name was set by qtractor to "Etde_A_Moll_Variations.qtr"

3 - Recorded one midi track and one audio track

4 - Saved project - shame I can't add a screen print (or part thereof) here - ogg and mid files are named:
Etüde_A_Moll_Variations-Roland_RD_150-1.mid
Etüde_A_Moll_Variations-Grand_Piano-1.ogg

5 - Restarted Qtractor and reopened project

6 - Audio track was intact, no midi track.

7 - Deleted audio track and re-recorded one midi and one audio track

8 - Saved project - ogg and mid files are named:
Etde_A_Moll_Variations-Roland_RD_150-1.mid
Etde_A_Moll_Variations-Grand_Piano-1.ogg

Strange behaviour...

Best regards, Simon

rncbc's picture

I wonder if there's something wrong or related to your locale environment, check your LANG, LC_ALL and other LC_* environment variables perhaps

seeya

Simon Lewis's picture

Sorry Rui, I'm a user not a programmer, can you give a hint where I find these variables?

Best regards, Simon

rncbc's picture

hi Simon,

from the terminal/console command line:

echo $LANG
echo $LC_ALL

but i think you could have a look on the regional (or international) system settings for something suspicious. it varies on the distro and i'm not even sure we're looking at the right place :(

seeya

Simon Lewis's picture

Hi Rui

Ahhh! This is a tricky one... The direct answer to your question is:

[simon@spaceloopxl ~]$ echo $LANG

[simon@spaceloopxl ~]$ echo $LC_ALL

[simon@spaceloopxl ~]$ su
Password:
[root@spaceloopxl simon]# echo $LANG

[root@spaceloopxl simon]# echo $LC_ALL

[root@spaceloopxl simon]# exit

Nothing! This is not surprising - from an investigation into another problem which has nothing to do with Qtrator I have discovered that fedora, arch linux and a number of other distributions, when installed with the KDE4 desktop, do not set any system wide settings including the qt and gtk configuration. A configuration for these items is only saved in KDE's local config subfolder. I've contacted fedora's developers on this and received the following reply, quote:

"Please file a feature request directly with the upstream Qt project if you think this would be a worthwhile feature."

So I guess as a short term workaround I need to set the system language somehow - time to google...

With best regards, Simon

Add new comment